Did you know that there are 5 main ways that the body moves.
- Forward Bend
- Back Bend
- Side Bend
- Hip opening
If you can get your body to open up in these 5 main areas then your energy is going to be flowing. What do I mean by this?
When you are feeling stiff and closed, energy actually gets trapped in your body. It can have you feeling very lonely, you can lack motivation, it can even cause anxiety and depression to build up. I know this sounds a little spiritual but if you look at this from a scientific point of view, your circulation can suffer when you stay still too long, your lungs cant get enough air if you are hunched over for a long time, your muscles start feeling stiffer when they are not used.
When we start moving our bodies, we give our muscles and organs chance to stretch, to be moved, to get internally massaged and all of this helps your body function correctly. We are not made to sit in one place and get stiff. We are made to move, to forage, to reproduce, to run from danger. It is very unnatural to sit at a desk or on the sofa for long periods of time.
This is why I focus on the 5 movements I listed above. These are the 5 main ways that the body can move. If we can gain flexibility in these areas then we can move more freely improving our circulation, have less bodily aches, better mental health, better energy flow, better mobility and our internal organs can function better which leads you to feeling happier, calmer and more at peace.
- Forward bending – really helps to open up all the back body, so many of us have extremely tight hamstrings.
- Back Bending – Opens up all the front of the body, because a lot of us our sat hunched over at a desk or on the sofa, back bending is great for opening up the chest and the shoulders.
- Side bending – This is a movement that most of us rarely do, opening up the side body can reduce back pain and helps with better circulation
- Twisting – twisting is a great one for massaging the internal organs and releasing any tension in the torso.
- Hip opening – Our hips are where we store a lot of emotions, so it is great for emotional release but also being more flexible in the hips means that we can stand and sit with less pain.
I have created a min course called The Mindful Stretch Program, This program focuses on these 5 main movements. The classes are 15 – 20 minutes long and are to be repeated daily depending on what movement you would like to focus on. These are NOT yoga classes, they have minimal cueing and are just going from pose to pose to really help you gain flexibility in the shortest amount of time possible.
They are designed to help inflexible people gain as much flexibility as there body will allow, Everyone is different.
So if you want to see how much progress you can make in just 5 days then check out The Mindful Stretch Program below.
If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment below or email me at Leahhyneyoga@gmail.com