I have been doing yoga for 10 years. So today I want to share with you 10 ways yoga can improve your life.
Today is my birthday and as I celebrate with family what I would really love is to make an impact and to help those around me. Yoga has already helped me in so many ways, like
- letting me know its not selfish to have some self-care time
- to stop letting people walk all over me
- to appreciate and nourish my health
- to make my happiness a priority
- to know i can do anything i set my mind to
This is why today I want to share with you the benefits of yoga and how you can feel these things too!
- Reduces Stress: Yoga is a great way to reduce stress and anxiety. The deep breathing and meditation techniques that are practiced in yoga can help calm the mind and reduce feelings of stress. When we move the body we shift energy and this allows us to feel and think differently then we would if we were just sat. WE get clearer and bodies come into rest and digest mode which takes away some stress.
- Improves Flexibility: Yoga can help improve flexibility and range of motion in the joints. Over time, regular yoga practice can lead to increased flexibility, which can help prevent injuries and improve overall physical health. You don’t have to be flexible to start yoga, you gain flexibility as you practice and you will notice a difference quickly if you stay consistent (I have other blog posts and podcasts on consistency)
- Strengthens Muscles: Many yoga poses require you to hold your body weight in different positions, which can help strengthen and tone your muscles. Regular yoga practice can help improve muscle strength and endurance. You need this as you get older, muscle mass decreases with age and it is vital that we keep that up to help us stay healthy which in turn will help you feel better in your mind and body.
- Increases Balance: Many yoga poses require balance, which can help improve your overall balance and stability. This can help prevent falls and improve overall physical function. This also helps your mental balance as you concentrate so much in these poses that your mind is fully focused on what you are doing. You stop running through your to-do list and become more present.
- Boosts Immunity: Yoga has been shown to boost the immune system by reducing stress and promoting relaxation. This can help improve overall health and reduce the risk of illness. Like above, yoga get’s you into your rest and digest state which in modern day life is very difficult. We are always surrounded by phones and distractions that we rarely rest. This is needed to have a healthy immune system.
- Improves Sleep: Yoga can help improve the quality and duration of sleep. The relaxation techniques used in yoga can help calm the mind and promote restful sleep. One way I love to practice this is with yoga nidra sleep meditations. I listen to them every night and they are sooooo relaxing.
- Increases Energy: Yoga can help increase energy levels by improving circulation and oxygenation of the body. The deep breathing techniques used in yoga can also help improve overall energy levels. Did you see my blog post last week on this? If not go check it out – 3 ways to boost your energy using yoga.
- Improves Digestion: Yoga can help improve digestion by stimulating the digestive system and promoting relaxation. This can help reduce digestive issues such as constipation and bloating. Again its that rest and digest state that helps your body function better plus the action of moving your body in certain poses is greta for getting things moving.
- Enhances Mental Clarity: Yoga can help enhance mental clarity and focus by reducing stress and promoting relaxation. Regular yoga practice can help improve concentration and memory. We rarely sit and notice how we feel in the mind and body and often in yoga this is how the classes start and finish it is a great way to truly understand how you are feeling and what you can do about it to improve your mental state.
- Promotes Self-Awareness: Yoga can help promote self-awareness by encouraging mindfulness and introspection. By practicing yoga, you can become more aware of your thoughts, emotions, and physical sensations, which can help you make positive changes in your life.
Overall, yoga can have numerous benefits for your physical, mental, and emotional well-being. Incorporating regular yoga practice into your daily routine can help you feel more energized, relaxed, and connected to yourself and those around you.
So what are you going to do now? Are you going to practice some yoga and start to see some of these benefits mentioned? Start your yoga journey today and make it a habit with my free 28 day yoga habit guide. This series involves 28 classes that are only 5 minutes long so that you can start making yoga a daily habit to see the 10 benefits above.